Cranfield is a postgraduate university, specialising in technology and management.The forerunner of Cranfield University was the College of Aeronautics, created in 1946 and based at the RAF station in Cranfield, Bedfordshire. Through the 1950s and 1960s, the development of many aspects of aircraft research and design led to considerable growth and diversification into other areas such as manufacturing and management.In 1969, the College of Aeronautics became The Cranfield Institute of Technology incorporated by Royal Charter with full degree-awarding powers.The theme running through Cranfield’s history is a commitment to and passion for applied research which makes a difference to the world in the fields of science, technology and management
We are creating leaders in technology and management, unlocking the potential of people and organisations by partnering with business and governments to deliver transformational research, postgraduate education and professional development.
Creating leaders in technology and management
- Cranfield's distinctive expertise is in our deep understanding of technology and management and how these work together to benefit the world.
- Our education portfolio is renowned for its relevance to business and industry. We are the largest UK provider of master's-level graduates in engineering and offer a flagship MBA, extensive world-class customised executive education and professional development programmes. Our work informs government policy and leads the way in producing cutting edge new technologies and products in partnership with industry
- The research and consultancy we carry out for industry, government and business provides our students with a real-world learning environment, allowing them to develop as professionals and then transfer their knowledge to the global economy. This has always been the 'Cranfield way' but it has never been more important than in today's world.Our corporate plan
Our corporate plan is designed to raise the ambition and enhance the distinctiveness of our University through our people (staff, students and alumni), the industry partners we work with and our unrivalled facilities. To strengthen our distinctive position in higher education and to grow our University, we have raised our ambition through our 415i goals:
- 4 – 400 fully research-active staff
- 1 – Deliver a UK top 10 learning experience
- 5 – Achieve a 5% operating surplus
- i – Impact, influence, international