Otago Polytechnic traces its origin to the Dunedin School of Art which was opened in 1870. Otago Polytechnic is home to over 7000 students enrolled on a variety of programmes that range from foundation certificate courses to postgraduate degrees. Otago Polytechnic has three campuses, Dunedin, Auckland and Central Otago. Affordable accommodation options, friendly teaching staff and dedicated international student support staff make studying at Otago a good choice.
Otago Polytechnic is spread over a large geographical area with campuses in Dunedin and Central Otago, as well as a campus for international students in Auckland.
In 2018, Otago Polytechnic officially opened its new 231-bed student accommodation complex, Otago Polytechnic Student Village, at its Dunedin campus. It features dorm rooms, studios and apartments. The 22 million building, designed by Mason & Wales architects, is the largest timber-framed construction in New Zealand at 6000 square metres. The sustainable, cross-laminated timber structure won two awards at the Property Council New Zealand Rider Levett Bucknall Property Industry Awards 2018: Award of Excellence for Green Building and an Award of Merit for Multi-Unit Residential Property At its Central Otago campus in the same year, the Polytechnic opened its $3 million, 25-bed student housing complex of fully self-contained units.
In 2018, Otago Polytechnic was the first organisation in New Zealand to be recognised for organisational excellence with a prestigious Performance Excellence Study Award.
- Otago Polytechnic’s strong organisational vision and culture of excellence
- High levels of student satisfaction and employer satisfaction with Otago Polytechnic graduates
- High levels of workforce engagement and staff satisfaction
- Excellent educational performance indicators (course completions, student progression, qualifications and course retention)
- Sound financial performance and growth in student enrolments
- High number of Ako Aotearoa Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards
- Organisational agility and leading-edge innovation through a diverse provision of educational experiences