Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University, formerly known as Leeds Metropolitan University and before that as Leeds Polytechnic, is a public university in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It has campuses in the city centre and Headingley.The university’s origins can be traced to 1824, with the foundation of the Leeds Mechanics Institute. Leeds Polytechnic was formed in 1970, and was part of the Leeds Local Education Authority until it became an independent Higher Education Corporation on 1 April 1989. In 1992, the institution gained university status. The current name was adopted in September 2014.
Browse by Courses
- Masters courses
- Bachelors courses
- Engineering courses
- Computers courses
- Science courses
- Humanities courses
- Business courses
This comprises a number of locations on the northern side of Leeds city centre, largely between the Inner Ring Road and the University of Leeds campus. In addition to the former Polytechnic site, several other buildings have recently been acquired. These include: Cloth Hall Court, in the legal district of the city; Old Broadcasting House, the former home of the BBC in Leeds; Electric Press, a building on Millennium Square; and Old School Board, the birthplace of school education in Leeds. The latest additions for the 2008/09 year were the Rose Bowl, the new home of the Leeds Business School, opposite the Civic Hall and designed to reflect the facade of the Civic Hall and the Broadcasting Place complex, including Broadcasting Tower, a new set of buildings which fits in with the red stone brick buildings famous in Leeds and which provides teaching space for the Faculty of Arts, Environment and Technology and the Faculty of Art, Architecture and Design, as well as student accommodation. Two buildings on the site have been disposed of since becoming a university, the Brunswick building was sold and in 2008 demolished; it is now the site of the Leeds Arena. A further tower block has been sold and is now a Premier Inn. The remaining largely 1960s buildings of the former polytechnic were reclad in the early 2010s.
On-campus Accommodation detlas.
- Leeds Beckett University offers on campus accommodation to its UG and PG students.
- University has 11 halls of residence providing more than 4,250 bedrooms for both UK and international students and are regarded as some of the best in the UK.
- Students may choose one residence hall in any of the campus i.e. City Campus, Headingley Campus and Carnegie Pavilion.
- University accommodation includes utility bills, including; heating, lighting, personal insurance and internet.
- Accommodation office of Leeds Beckett University ranked 5th in the UK.